* Metformin is used for the treatment of type 2 diabetes mellitus, particularly in overweight patients, as an adjunct to the diet and exercise.
* Nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain and loss of appetite, taste disturbance, Lactic acidosis (symptoms are vomiting, abdominal pain with muscle cramps, not feeling well with severe tiredness, and difficulty in breathing), malabsorption of vitamin B12, skin reactions
* Taking metformin with other anti-diabetic drugs may lead to excessive lowering of blood sugar levels, hence, the metformin dosage should be adjusted accordingly. * Metformin accumulation due to failure of kidney after intravascular administration of ionized media may lead to increased risk of lactic acidosis. Avoid metformin usage before and at least 48 hours afterwards X-ray or scan. * Diuretics, especially loop diuretics (furosemide) may increase the risk of lactic acidosis due to their ability to decrease kidney functions. * Metformin with diuretics (furosemide), anti-asthmatic drugs (salbutamol or terbutaline), or corticosteroids (prednisone) may affect the glucose control. * Always consult your physician for the change of dose regimen or an alternative drug of choice that may strictly be required.
MECHANISM OF ACTION
* Metformin belongs to class of medications called antidiabetics. The exact mechanism of action of metformin is not clear but it appears to act by decreasing glucose absorption from the intestine, decreasing production of glucose from proteins and fats in liver, and enhancing insulin sensitivity in muscle by increasing glucose uptake and utilization.
* Adults: 500 mg or 850 mg 2 or 3 times daily given during or after meals to maximum of 3 g daily, taken as 3 divided doses. * Children (from 10 years of age and adolescents): 500 mg or 850 mg once daily, given during or after meals to maximum of 2 g daily, taken as 2 or 3 divided doses.
DOs and DON'Ts
* Take the medicine with food to avoid upset stomach * Check your blood sugar regularly * Do not take metformin in severe diarrhoea or vomiting, or when starting antihypertensive or diuretic therapy or therapy with a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID). * This medication may cause lactic acidosis (a build-up of lactic acid in the body, which can be fatal). Lactic acidosis can start slowly and get worse over time. Get emergency medical help if you have even mild symptoms of lactic acidosis, such as:muscle pain or weakness;numb or cold feeling in your arms and legs;trouble breathing;feeling dizzy, light-headed, tired, or very weak;stomach pain, nausea with vomiting; orslow or uneven heart rate. * Do not take metformin if you need to have any type of x-ray or CT scan using a dye * You need to get cetain kidney function tests done before starting treatment with metformin and regularly thereafter. * . * Caution should be taken when used in combination with insulin or other oral antidiabetics, which may lead to low blood glucose level (hypoglycemia).
* Patients with serious complication of diabetes where high levels of blood acids called ketones are produced in the body (diabetic ketoacidosis); diabetic pre-coma; patients with kidney problem , liver problem, or heart failure; alcoholism.
Q. Is Metformin a birth control pill/ insulin / statin/ banned drug?Metformin (also available as glyciphage, glycomet, glycomet SR) is an antidiabetic drug used in treatment of type 2 diabetes mellitus, particularly in overweight patients, as an adjunct to the diet and exercise.Q. Is metformin safe?Metformin is generally safe if used at prescribed doses for the prescribed duration as advised by your doctor.Q. Can I take metformin forever?Metformin should be taken at prescribed doses for the prescribed duration as advised by your doctor.Q. Is metformin good for weight loss / weight loss in non-diabetics?Metformin is used for the treatment of type 2 diabetes mellitus, particularly in overweight patients.Q. How long can I take metformin for PCOS / PCOS while pregnancy?Metformin sometimes used to treat women with polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS). Continuing metformin during pregnancy decreases the chances of developing gestational diabetes. It also reduces the risk of early pregnancy loss, preterm labor and prevention of fetal growth restriction. Depending on your medical history, your doctor might encourage you to continue metformin during pregnancy, or advice you to stop taking it. Always consult your doctor regarding its use.Q. Can you take metformin for gestational diabetes / is metformin safe for pregnancy?Metformin is usually prescribed for treating gestational diabetes. Metformin use during pregnancy is usually safe at prescribed dose for the prescribed duration. Always consult your doctor regarding its use.Q. Does metformin help conceiving / help ovulation / help getting pregnant?Women with PCOS who are treated with metformin have a better chance of getting pregnant. Always consult your doctor regarding its use.
* Summary of product characteristics. https://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/medicine/21610 * Patient Information Leaflet. https://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/PIL.26346.latest.pdf
Voglibose is used to reduce high post meal glucose level in diabetes mellitus in patients who have been using other diabetic medications
* Common: Diarrhea, abdominal pain, constipation, loss of appetite (anorexia), urge to vomit, vomiting, heartburn, increased intestinal gas (flatulence), numbness, edema of face, blurred vision, hot flushes, feeling of discomfort, weakness, low hemoglobin, red blood cells, hair loss, and perspiration may occur. * Rare: Rash, itching of skin (pruritus), headache, abnormally low number of blood platelets (thrombocytopenia), and low white blood cells (leukopenia).
* Voglibose when taken with sulfonylamide, sulfonylurea, biguanide, insulin, atenolol, or aspirin, symptoms of low blood sugar may occur. * Voglibose may also interact with drugs that alter the blood sugar levels like salicylic acid, selegiline, fenofibrate, epinephrine, or thyroxine. * Always consult your physician for the change of dose regimen or an alternative drug of choice that may strictly be required
MECHANISM OF ACTION
Voglibose belongs to the class of medications that lowers blood sugar called anti-hyperglycemics (alpha-glucosidase inhibitor). Voglibose delays the digestion and absorption of carbohydrate in the intestine by inhibiting intestinal enzyme (alpha glucosidase) which results in reduction of increase in blood glucose level after meal
* Always follow the instructions of doctor regarding the dosage and duration * Treatment of diabetes in adults: 200-300 mcg tablets 3 times/day orally.
DOs and DON'Ts
* Voglibose tablets should be taken at the start of a meal. * Monitor your blood sugar levels regularly * Do not take this drug instead of insulin if you are already on insulin * Do not stop taking this drug suddenly without consulting your doctor
* Voglibose tablets should not be given to: * Patients with known allergy to voglibose or to any of any other ingredients of the drug * Children and adolescents * Patients with increase in blood ketone level due to diabetes (diabetic ketoacidosis) or pre-diabetic coma * Patients with severe infection, before or after surgery, or with serious trauma * Patients with gastrointestinal blockage
Q. Is voglibose/volixy approved by US FDA?Voglibose is not approved by US FDA.Q. Is voglibose better than acarbose?No, voglibose and acarbose have similar overall effects but variation may exist depending on the individuals taking the drug. Always consult your doctor for an alternative drug of choice.Q. Is voglibose safe?Voglibose is safe if used at prescribed doses for the prescribed duration as advised by your doctor.
* Prescribing information. http://www.biocon.com/docs/prescribing_information/diabetology/volicose_pi.pdf * http://www.medindia.net/doctors/drug_information/voglibose.htm
- Vozuca M Activ(60 Tablet in Packet)Dr Reddy's Laboratories LtdRs. 1.23/TabletRs. 73.50save 85% more per Tablet
- Vozuca M(0.2active)(60 Tablet in Packet)Dr Reddy's Laboratories LtdRs. 3.27/TabletRs. 196save 59% more per Tablet
- Voglitor Mf(0.2mg)(10 Tablet in Strip)Torrent Pharmaceuticals LtdRs. 3.60/TabletRs. 36save 55% more per Tablet
- Metadoze V(0.2mg)(10 Tablet in Strip)BioconRs. 3.90/TabletRs. 39save 51% more per Tablet
- Starvog M(0.2mg)(10 Tablet in Strip)Zydus CadilaRs. 4.50/TabletRs. 45save 44% more per Tablet
Can I take Cetapin V(02mg) during pregnancy?
Studies in animals have shown risk to fetus, however there are no sufficient studies in humans. This drug may be used in pregnant women if benefit outweighs the risk. Patients should follow the advice of the doctor regarding its use.
Can I take Cetapin V(02mg) while breastfeeding/lactation?
Can I take Cetapin V(02mg) with alcohol?
Since there is some doubt about the results of concurrent use in this interaction, it is advised to give some guidance to the patient about its possible adverse effects and/or consider close monitoring.