SALT INFORMATIONMecobalamin(500 mcg)
To treat low hemoglobin or red blood cells (pernicious and megaloblastic anemia), loss of sensation and pain in extremities (neuropathy). Also used as adjunct therapy in rare conditions that involves severe muscle tightness and decrease in muscle mass (amyotrophic lateral sclerosis).
It is usually safe when taken orally. Loss of appetite, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, allergic reactions (skin rashes), itching and other injection site related side effects (pain and blood clots) may occur.
Omeprazole, lansoprazole, cimetidine, famotidine, ranitidine, neomycin, colchicine, chloramphenicol reduce blood levels of mecobalamine. Always consult your physician for the change of dose regimen or an alternative drug of choice that may strictly be required.
MECHANISM OF ACTION
Mecobalamin (active form of vitamin B12) assists important enzymes involved in energy production form fats and proteins and synthesis of haemoglobin. It is known to increase production and development of red blood cells by the bone marrow. It assists enzyme methionine synthase which is involved in breakdown of homocysteine thereby reducing its level.
- Mecofol(1 ml Powder for Injection in Vial)Intas Pharmaceuticals LtdRs. 4.22/Powder for InjectionRs. 4.22save 27% more per Powder for Injection
- Chiny (1000mcg)(2 ml Powder for Injection in Vial)Positif Life Sciences (Afive)Rs. 5.80/Powder for InjectionRs. 5.80save 50% more per Powder for Injection
- Novomine (500mcg)(1 Powder for Injection in Vial)Novo Nordisk Pharma India Ltd (Novogen Captab Biotec )Rs. 6/Powder for InjectionRs. 6pay 4% more per Powder for Injection
- Matilda (500mg)(1 Powder for Injection in Vial)Lupin Laboratories LtdRs. 10.06/Powder for InjectionRs. 10.06pay 74% more per Powder for Injection
- Matilda (1mlx5ml)(1 ml Powder for Injection in Vial)Lupin Laboratories LtdRs. 10.06/Powder for InjectionRs. 10.06pay 74% more per Powder for Injection
Can I take Elmecob (1000mcg) during pregnancy?
Studies in animals have shown risk to fetus, however there are no sufficient studies in humans. This drug may be used in pregnant women if benefit outweighs the risk. Patients should follow the advice of the doctor regarding its use.