SALT INFORMATIONTolvaptan(15 mg)
Tolvaptan is used to treat low levels of salt (sodium) in the blood, which can result from conditions such as heart failure and certain hormone imbalances.
* Very Common: thirst, nausea * Common: Dry mouth, excessive drinking of water decreased appetite, constipation, diarrhea, increased need to urinate, or to urinate more frequently , blood in urine, water loss, tiredness, general weakness, dizziness, headache, fainting, patchy bleeding in the skin, itching, fever, high levels of sodium, potassium, creatinine, uric acid and blood sugar, rapid rise in level of sodium, decrease in level of blood sugar, low blood pressure when standing up, general feeling of being unwell * Uncommon: increase of bilirubin in the blood , kidney problems, sense of taste altered, itchy rash
Before taking this medication, tell your doctor if you are taking any of the following medicines: * Drugs which increases the effect of Tolvaptan: ketoconazole, macrolide antibiotics, diltiazem, clarithromycin, itraconazole, telithromycin, saquinavir, nelfinavir, ritonavir and nefazodone, * Drugs which decreases the effect of Tolvaptan: Barbiturates, rifampicin * Tolvaptan may increase the effect of other drugs: digoxin
MECHANISM OF ACTION
Tolvaptan is a diuretic and belongs to a class of drugs known as vasopressin receptor antagonists. It works by increasing the amount of urine you make, causing your body to get rid of extra water. This helps to slowly increase the normal levels of salt (sodium) in the blood.
Always follow the instructions of doctor regarding the dosage and duration. Adult (?18 years): 15 mg once daily, increased as required to maximum 60 mg daily.
DOs and DON'Ts
Do not eat grapefruit or drink grapefruit juice while taking this medicationIf you stop taking tolvaptan for any length of time, do not start taking it again at home. You will need to be in a hospital under observation any time you start or restart treatment with tolvaptan.Consult your doctor immediately if you have any of these signs :problems with speech or muscle control, trouble swallowing, trouble moving your arms and legs, mood changes, and seizure (convulsions). Do not start or continue tolvaptan: * if you are allergic to tolvaptan, or to any of the other ingredients of this medicine * if your kidneys do not work (no urine production) * if you have a condition which increases the salt in your blood (“hypernatraemia”) * if you have a condition which is associated with a very low blood volume * if you do not realise when you are thirsty * if you are pregnant or breastfeedingTalk with your doctor before taking tolvaptan: * if you cannot drink enough water or if you are fluid restricted * if you have difficulties in urination or have an enlarged prostate * if you suffer from liver disease * if you have diabetes
Tolvaptan should not betaken: * if you are allergic (hypersensitive) to tolvaptan or any of the other ingredients of this medicine * if your kidneys do not work (no urine production) * if you have a condition which increases the salt in your blood (“hypernatraemia”) * if you have a condition which is associated with a very low blood volume * if you do not realise when you are thirsty * if you are pregnant or breastfeeding
Q. Is tolvaptan approved by FDA?Tolvaptan is approved by FDA. It is also available in different countries like India, Australia, Canada.Q. Is tolvaptan / samsca a diuretic?Samscais brand name of tolvaptan and it is a diuretic.Q. Does tolvaptan work in pkd-Polycystic kidney disease?Yes. Recently it is found that tolvaptan can slow the development and progression of polycystic kidney disease in animal models.
* Summary of product characteristics: https://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/medicine/22210 * Patient information leaflet. https://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/PIL.22211.latest.pdf * Drugs.com information: http://www.drugs.com/mtm/tolvaptan.html * British National Formulary. BMJ Group and the Royal Pharmaceutical Society of Great Britain. UK; 2011.
- Hyponat O(30tab)(10 Tablet in Strip)Cadila Pharmaceuticals LtdRs. 49/TabletRs. 490pay 54% more per Tablet
- Natrise (15tab)(4 Tablet in Strip)Sun Pharmaceutical Industries LtdRs. 99/TabletRs. 396pay 211% more per Tablet
- Natrise (15mg)(4 Tablet in Strip)Sun Pharmaceutical Industries LtdRs. 99/TabletRs. 396pay 211% more per Tablet
- Natrise Tab(4 Tablet in Strip)Sun Pharmaceutical Industries LtdRs. 99/TabletRs. 396pay 211% more per Tablet
- Tvaptan (15mg)(4 Tablet in Strip)Centaur Pharmaceuticals Pvt LtdRs. 99/TabletRs. 396pay 211% more per Tablet
Can I take Hyponat O(15tab 10) during pregnancy?
Studies in animals have shown risk to fetus, however there are no sufficient studies in humans. This drug may be used in pregnant women if benefit outweighs the risk. Patients should follow the advice of the doctor regarding its use.