SALT INFORMATIONMetformin(500 mg)
Metformin is used in the treatment of diabetes mellitus, insulin resistance, and obesity.
The common side effects are urge to vomit, vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain, loss of appetite, malabsorption of vitamin B12, taste disturbance, and altered liver functions. Also, the patient may have the side effects of lactic acidosis (symptoms are vomiting, abdominal pain with muscle cramps, not feeling well with severe tiredness, and difficulty in breathing), and skin reactions such as redness of skin, itching, hives (pale red, raised, itchy bumps of skin).
Taking metformin with other anti-diabetic drugs may lead to excessive lowering of bloodsugar. If you go for an X-ray or scan, do not take metformin before and at least 48 hours afterwards. Metformin with diuretics (furosemide), anti-asthmatic drugs such as salbutamol or terbutaline, or corticosteroids (prednisone) may affect the glucose control. Always consult your physician for the change of dose regimen or an alternative drug of choice that may strictly be required.
MECHANISM OF ACTION
The exact mechanism of action of metformin is not clear but it appears to act by decreasing glucose absorption from the intestine, decreasing production of glucose from proteins and fats in liver, and enhancing insulin sensitivity in muscle by increasing glucose uptake and utilization.
- Serformin (500mg)(10 Tablet in Strip)RPG Life Sciences Ltd (Acumed)Rs. 0.64/TabletRs. 6.35save 74% more per Tablet
- Forminal (500mg)(10 Tablet in Strip)Alembic Chemical Works Co LtdRs. 0.65/TabletRs. 6.45save 73% more per Tablet
- M Forlin(500mg)(10 Tablet in Strip)Lincoln PharmaceuticalsRs. 0.65/TabletRs. 6.50save 73% more per Tablet
- Glumet Ext(500mg)(10 Tablet in Strip)Cipla LtdRs. 0.65/TabletRs. 6.50save 73% more per Tablet
- D Bay(500mg)(10 Tablet in Strip)Aurobindo Pharma Ltd (Argus)Rs. 0.70/TabletRs. 7save 71% more per Tablet
Can I take Melmet (500sr) during pregnancy?
The drug should not be used by pregnant women. Experiences of drug use and evidence from studies in pregnant women have shown high risk to fetus. The risk of drug use in pregnant women outweighs the benefit.
Can I take Melmet (500sr) while breastfeeding/lactation?
Can I take Melmet (500sr) with alcohol?
Since there is some doubt about the results of concurrent use in this interaction, it is advised to give some guidance to the patient about its possible adverse effects and/or consider close monitoring.