SALT INFORMATIONOfloxacin(200 mg)
Ofloxacin is used to treat bacterial infections including upper and lower urinary tract infections, lower respiratory tract infections, skin and soft tissue infections and sexually transmitted infections (of urethra and cervix).
* Uncommon: Diarrhea, stomach pain, urge to vomit (nausea), vomiting, headache, sleeping problems, feeling dizzy or restless , agitation, skin rash or itching of skin (pruritus), cough, infection of nose, throat or chest (nasopharyngitis), eye irritation, sensation of spinning or rotation (vertigo), fungal infection * Rare: Numbness or tingling in the hands and feet or being very sensitive to touch, anaphylactic reaction (sudden, widespread, potentially severe and life-threatening allergic reaction consisting of one or more of the following: rapid heart rate, fall in blood pressure, fainting, itching and flushing of skin, coughing, sneezing, breathlessness, noisy respiration (wheezing), urge to vomit (nausea), vomiting, abdominal cramps, and diarrhea), swelling of eyes and lips (angioedema), anxiety, confusion state, unpleasant dreams (nightmares), depression, psychotic disorder, sleepiness (somnolence), tingling sensation (paresthesia), altered taste sensation (dysgeusia), loss of ability to smell (parosmia), visual disturbance, increased heart rate (tachycardia), low blood pressure (hypotension), breathlessness (dyspnea), constriction of the air passages (bronchospasm), inflammation of the large gut (enterocolitis), increase in liver enzymes, rashes due to allergy (urticaria), hot flushes, rash, inflammation of the bands of tissue that connect muscles to bones (tendinitis) * Frequency not known: Abnormal or irregular heart rate, Stevens-Johnson syndrome (serious, widespread, allergic reaction with a rash involving the skin and internal lining of the organs), acute generalized presence/occurrence of numerous, pus-filled eruptions over the skin (exanthemous pustulosis), muscle disorder (myopathy) like muscular weakness, muscle tear, muscle rupture, acute interstitial nephritis, allergic pneumonitis, low sugar in the blood (hypoglycemia), depression, attacks of disturbance of metabolism that can be seen as disorders of the skin or other organs (porphyria).
* Ofloxacin when taken along with drugs used to treat disordered electrical activity of heart (prolonged QT interval), tricyclic antidepressants, macrolides, and antipsychotics may alter the effects of ofloxacin. * It prolongs the bleeding time when taken with anticoagulants. * Magnesium/aluminum antacids, sucralfate, zinc or iron preparations can reduce absorption of ofloxacin. * Ofloxacin may cause a slight increase in serum concentrations of glibenclamide. * Effectiveness of typhoid vaccine may be decreased by ofloxacin. * Always consult your doctor for the change of dose regimen or an alternative drug of choice that may strictly be required.
MECHANISM OF ACTION
Ofloxacin belongs to the group of medicines called 4-fluoroquinolone antibacterial antibiotics. It acts by killing the bacteria that cause infection.
Always follow the instructions of doctor regarding the dosage and duration * Adults: 200-400 mg 1-2 times daily.
DOs and DON'Ts
Avoid taking milk or dairy products, or taking antacids, didanosine, sucralfate, or vitamins within 2 hours before or after taking ofloxacin.Do not start or continue the ofloxacin tablets: * If you are allergic (hypersensitive) to ofloxacin or any of the other ingredients of ofloxacin tablet * If you are pregnant or breast feeding.Doctor’s advice should be considered before taking ofloxacin tablets in case of any following disease conditions such as fits (epilepsy), inflammation of the bands of tissue that connect muscles to bones (tendinitis), myasthenia gravis and kidney problems.Drink adequate fluid to prevent the formation of highly concentrated urine.Avoid excessive exposure to light to prevent photosensitivity.Do not drive or operate machinery after taking ofloxacin tablet because you may feel sleepy.
* Children or adolescents. * Pregnant and breast feeding women. * Elderly people * Patients with a past history of inflammation of the bands of tissue that connect muscles to bones (tendinitis), fits (epilepsy). * Patients with latent or actual defects in glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase activity.
Q. What is Zenflox OZ/ Zenflox Plus/ Zenflox tablet/ Oflomac/ Oflomac 200/ Zanocin OZ/ Zanocin/ Zanocin OD 400 used for?Ofloxacin (also available as Zenflox OZ/ Zenflox Plus/ Zenflox tablet/ Oflomac/ Oflomac 200/ Zanocin OZ/ Zanocin/ Zanocin OD 400) and are used to treat bacterial infections including upper and lower urinary tract infections, lower respiratory tract infections, skin and soft tissue infections and sexually transmitted infections (of urethra and cervix). Patients should follow the advice of the doctor regarding its use.Q. Is ofloxacin/ Zenflox/ Zanocin OZ an antibiotic?Yes. It belongs to the group of medicines called fluoroquinolone antibiotics.Q. Is ofloxacin penicillin based/ Steroid/ fluoroquinolone/sulfa?No. Ofloxacin is fluoroquinolone antibiotic. It is not a steroid and does not contain sulfa. Patients should follow the advice of the doctor regarding its use.Q. Can I take paracetamol/ibuprofen with ofloxacin?There is no known interaction and it is safe to take these drugs with ofloxacin. Patients should follow the advice of the doctor regarding its use.Q. Does Ofloxacin treat pink eye/chlamydia/ear infections?Ofloxacin is used to treat pink eye (conjunctivitis), ear infection and infection due to chlamydia.Q. Does ofloxacin affect birth control?It does not affect birth control.Q. Is ofloxacin safe in pregnancy/ during lactation?Ofloxacin should not be given to pregnant women/breast feeding women. Patients should follow the advice of the doctor regarding its use.Q. Is ofloxacin safe for dogs/ cats?Yes it is safe to be used in pets.Q. Is ofloxacin the same as Ciprodex?No. Ofloxacin and Ciprodex are different drugs as Ciprodex contain ciprofloxacin.
* US prescribing information. http://www.drugs.com/cdi/ofloxacin.html * Summary of product characteristics. http://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/medicine/25497 * Prescribing information leaflet. http://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/medicine/8868
- Chekmet (200mg)(10 Tablet in Strip)Abbott India LtdRs. 2.50/TabletRs. 25save 48% more per Tablet
- Ronflox (200mg)(10 Tablet in Strip)Alkem Laboratories LtdRs. 2.63/TabletRs. 26.35save 45% more per Tablet
- Piraflox (200mg)(10 Tablet in Strip)Abbott India LtdRs. 3.30/TabletRs. 33save 31% more per Tablet
- Ofloren (200mg)(10 Tablet in Strip)Indoco Remedies LtdRs. 3.30/TabletRs. 33save 31% more per Tablet
- Oxit (200mg)(10 Tablet in Strip)Dr Reddy's Laboratories LtdRs. 3.80/TabletRs. 38save 21% more per Tablet
Can I take Ofrut (200mg) during pregnancy?
Studies in animals have shown risk to fetus, however there are no sufficient studies in humans. This drug may be used in pregnant women if benefit outweighs the risk. Patients should follow the advice of the doctor regarding its use.