SALT INFORMATIONOlmesartan Medoxomil(40 mg)
* Olmesartan is used to treat high blood pressure (hypertension), prevention and treatment of heart attack (Myocardial Infarction) and heart failure; when heart is unable to pump sufficient blood. It is also used in patients of diabetes with kidney failure.
* Common: Urge to vomit, headache, dizziness, unusual tiredness (fatigue), cough, sore throat (pharyngitis), infection of the nose, throat, or chest (flu like symptoms); pain or swelling of joints (arthritis); diarrhea, indigestion (dyspepsia); pain in abdomen, back bone, and/or chest; swelling in the hands or legs (peripheral edema), blood in the urine (hematuria), increase in blood urea or creatine phosphokinase, increase in liver enzymes, increased level of triglycerides in blood (hypertriglyceridemia), abnormally high levels of uric acid in blood (hyperuricemia), and urinary tract infection. * Uncommon: Vomiting, sensation of spinning or rotation (vertigo); feeling of discomfort (malaise), sensation of pressure, serious allergic reaction (anaphylactic reaction) and other skin allergies, muscle pain (myalgia), and reduced level of blood platelets (thrombocytopenia). * Rare: kidney failure, high blood potassium level (hyperkalemia), low blood pressure (hypotension), sudden muscle cramp/contraction (muscle spasm), and sprue-like enteropathy (chronic diarrhea with weight loss due to intestinal problem).
* Olmesartan when taken along with potassium supplements, tablets that increases urine output from body (diuretics), or heparin (for thinning the blood) may raise the levels of potassium in blood. * Olmesartan may increase the toxicity of lithium if administered together. * Medicines used to relieve pain; swelling and other symptoms of inflammation (Pain killers/ Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory [NSAIDs]) along with olmesartan may increase the risk of kidney failure and decrease the effect of the drug. * Other blood pressure lowering medicines (antihypertensive drugs) like angiotensin receptor antagonist (e.g., ramipril) increase the effect of olmesartan. * Certain antacids (e.g., aluminum magnesium hydroxide) decrease the effect of olmesartan. * Always consult your physician for the change of dose regimen or an alternative drug of choice that may strictly be required.
MECHANISM OF ACTION
* Olmesartan belongs to a class of medications called angiotensin II receptor inhibitors. Angiotensin II is a chemical that causes muscles surrounding the blood vessels to contract, thereby narrowing the blood vessels. Olmesartan blocks the action of angiotensin II resulting in relaxation of blood vessels, and thus, reduces blood pressure.
Always follow the instructions of doctor regarding the dosage and duration * Treatment of hypertension in adults: 10 mg once daily or up to 20 or 40 mg once daily when blood pressure is not adequately controlled at 10 mg dose. * Treatment of heart attack and heart failure is similar to that for hypertension.
DOs and DON'Ts
* Take olmesartan tablets at about the same time each day. * Swallow the tablets with a sufficient amount of water and do not chew the tablet. * Avoid getting up too fast from a sitting or lying position, or you may feel dizzy. Get up slowly and steady yourself to prevent a fall. * Avoid drinking alcohol as it may increase certain side efects of the drug * Consult your doctor about any dizziness, fatigue, cough, or throat irritation that doesn't go away. * Do not start or continue the olmesartan tablets and consult your doctor if you have a history of angioedema (eg, swelling of the hands, face, lips, eyes, throat, or tongue; difficulty swallowing or breathing; hoarseness). * Do not atake the medicine if you are pregnant * Consult your doctor before taking this medicine if you are breast feeding
* Olmesartan is not recommended for children and adolescents under the age of 18. * Do not take olmesartan if you are allergic to it or to any of its ingredients; if you are more than 3 months pregnant; if you suffer from jaundice; or have problems with drainage of bile from gallbladder (e.g., gallstones).
Q. What is olmesartan medoxomil?Olmesartan medoxomil is available as olmezest or Benicar is an angiotensin II receptor blocker. It is not beta blocker or ACE inhibitor.Q. Is olmesartan better than telmisartan or losartan?No, the effects of olmesartan, telmisartan or losartan are similar but may vary upon individual response.Q. Is olmesartan a blood thinner / statin?No, olmesartan decreases the pressure in the blood vessels and increases the amount of fluid removed from the blood by the kidneys.Q. Is olmesartan safe?Olmesartan is safe if used at prescribed doses for the prescribed duration as advised by your doctor.Q. Does olmesartan cause impotence?No, olmesartan does not cause impotence.
* Summary of product characteristics: https://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/medicine/15152 * Package information leaflet: https://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/PIL.12255.latest.pdf
- Olmephage (40mg)(10 Tablet in Strip)Unifab PharmaceuticalsRs. 1.40/TabletRs. 14save 89% more per Tablet
- Olmy A(40mg)(10 Tablet in Strip)Zydus CadilaRs. 1.50/TabletRs. 15save 89% more per Tablet
- Olsertain (40mg)(10 Tablet in Strip)Dr Reddy's Laboratories LtdRs. 5.85/TabletRs. 58.50save 55% more per Tablet
- Olsertan (40mg)(10 Tablet in Strip)Dr Reddy's Laboratories LtdRs. 5.85/TabletRs. 58.50save 55% more per Tablet
- Ortan (40mg)(10 Tablet in Strip)Ajanta Pharma LtdRs. 8.25/TabletRs. 82.50save 37% more per Tablet
Can I take Olmesar (40mg) during pregnancy?
Experiences of drug use and evidence from studies in pregnant women have shown risk to fetus. This drug may be used in pregnant women if benefit outweighs the risk. Patients should follow the advice of the doctor regarding its use.