SALT INFORMATIONPantoprazole(40 mg)
Pantoprazole is used for treating symptoms of gastro-esophageal reflux disease (heartburn, back flow of acid from stomach, difficulty in swallowing), inflammation of esophagus, excess acid secretion by stomach (Zollinger – Ellison syndrome), in prevention of intestinal or stomach ulcers in patients caused by prolonged pain killer use.
* Uncommon: Feeling weak, exhaustion, headache and dizziness, urge to vomit, vomiting, diarrhea, bloating and gas (flatulence), constipation, dry mouth, abdominal pain and discomfort, skin rash, sudden rashes on the body (exanthema), itching, and sleep disorders. Long term use may increase risk of hip, spine or wrist fractures in patients with osteoporosis or in those having medications that increase the risk of osteoporosis like corticosteroids (e.g.prednisolone). * Rare: Fever, loss of sense of taste, blurring or vision disturbances, muscle and joint pains, swelling of limbs (peripheral edema), weight changes, depression, allergies, enlargement of breasts in men. * Frequency not known: Low levels of sodium and magnesium in the blood, increased heart rate, hallucinations, fits (convulsions), fatigue, and disorientation.
* Pantoprazole may reduce the absorption of drugs like ketoconazole, itraconazole, posaconazole atazanavir and erlotinib. * Pantoprazole might sometimes interact with the blood-thinning agent, warfarin or phenprocoumon. * Always consult your physician for the change of dose regimen or an alternative drug of choice that may strictly be required.
MECHANISM OF ACTION
Pantoprazole belongs to a class of drugs known as proton pump inhibitors. It acts by reducing the amount of acid produced in the stomach.
Always follow the instructions of doctor regarding the dosage and duration. * Adults: 20–80 mg daily in the morning for 2 to 4 weeks or more, as prescribed.
DOs and DON'Ts
* Take the medicine 1 hour before a meal and swallow the tablet as whole. * Inform your doctor if you are put on long-term treatment with pantoprazole, especially if you have severe liver disease, deficiency of vitamin B12 or receiving the drug atazanavir for HIV treatment. * Inform your doctor if you have low magnesium levels in your blood. * Do not take the medicine if you are allergic to it
* Do not give the medicine to children below 12 years of age. * Do not take pantoprazole if you are allergic to it or other proton pump inhibitors or any other content of the medicine.
Q. Is pantoprazole safe?Pantoprazole is relatively safe if taken in prescribed dose for prescribed duration as advised by your doctor.Q. What is Pantocid 20/Pantocid 40/Pantosec/Pantium used for?Pantocid (20 or 40 mg)/Pantosec/Pantium are various brands of pantoprazole available and used for the same indications as pantoprazole.Q. Can I take pantoprazole with other medications?It is safe to take other medications with pantoprazole if prescribed by your doctor. However, it should not be taken with ketoconazole and other anti-fungals, warfarin, atazanavir and erlotinib.Q. Does pantoprazole cause weight gain, dizziness, constipation, bloating, or headache?Pantoprazole may cause weight changes, dizziness, constipation, bloating, or headache. If you notice such symptoms, consult your doctor.Q. Is pantoprazole an antacid?No, pantoprazole is not an antacid. It reduces the production of acid in stomach, while antacids neutralize the acids present in stomach.Q. Is pantoprazole gluten free?Yes. Pantoprazole is gluten free. However, please refer to package insert of the prescribed brand before use.
* Summary of product characteristics. https://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/medicine/23231 * Patient information leaflet. https://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/PIL.22803.latest.pdf * Prescribing information: http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/drugsatfda_docs/label/2011/022020s004,020987s039lbl.pdf * British national formulary (BNF 2011).
- Zipant (40mg)(10 Tablet in Strip)FDC LtdRs. 2.75/TabletRs. 27.50save 40% more per Tablet
- Aciban (40mg)(10 Tablet in Strip)Zydus CadilaRs. 3.07/TabletRs. 30.74save 32% more per Tablet
- Ulpan (40mg)(10 Tablet in Strip)Corona Remedies Pvt LtdRs. 3.50/TabletRs. 35save 23% more per Tablet
- Panplus (40)(10 Tablet in Strip)Alembic Chemical Works Co LtdRs. 3.69/TabletRs. 36.85save 19% more per Tablet
- Topraz (40mg)(10 Tablet in Strip)Aurobindo Pharma LtdRs. 3.98/TabletRs. 39.80save 13% more per Tablet
Can I take Pantozol (40mg) during pregnancy?
Studies in animals have shown no risk to the fetus, however there are no sufficient studies in humans. Patients should follow the advice of the doctor regarding its use. Patients should follow the advice of the doctor regarding its use.