SALT INFORMATIONTelmisartan(20 mg)
* Telmisartan belongs to a class of medicines known as angiotensin II receptor blockers. It is used to treat high blood pressure, prevention and treatment of heart attack (myocardial Infarction) and heart failure; when heart is unable to pump sufficient blood. It is also used for kidney failure in patients with diabetes.
* Low blood pressure (hypotension), dizziness, sore throat, inability to sleep, depression, fainting, vertigo, slow heart rate (bradycardia), , shortness of breath, cough, abdominal pain, diarrhea, bloating, vomiting, itching, increased sweating, back pain, muscle cramps and pain (myalgia), blood infection (sepsis), rapid swelling of raceand lips , hypersensitivity reactions
* Telmisartan may interact with other drugs including ACE inhibitors (e.g. enalapril, lisinopril, ramipril), aliskiren, digoxin, and lithium. * Its effect is altered on interaction with pain killers/ NSAIDs (e.g. aspirin or ibuprofen), heparin, immunosuppressives (e.g. cyclosporine, tacrolimus), and trimethoprim. * Telmisartan may cause abnormally low blood pressure when administered along with diuretics (e.g. furosemide, hydrochlorothiazide, spironolactone, eplerenone, triamterene, or potassium supplements), barbiturates, narcotics, or antidepressants. * Always consult your physician for the change of dose regimen or an alternative drug of choice that may strictly be required.
MECHANISM OF ACTION
* Telmisartan blocks the action of a substance (angiotensin II) responsible for narrowing of the blood vessels. It relaxes the blood vessels; thereby lowering blood pressure.
Always follow the instructions of doctor regarding the dosage and duration. * Treatment of hypertension: 40 mg once daily or 80mg once daily. * Reduction of cardiovascular risks: 80 mg once daily. * In patients with liver impairment, the dosage should not exceed 40 mg once daily.
DOs and DON'Ts
* Get your blood pressure, potassium, and kidney function checked 1 week after starting the medicine, then routinely after. * Consult your doctor about any dizziness or muscle weakness that doesn't go away. * Get immediate medical help if you notice any swelling, especially around your head and neck * Do not start or continue telmisartan tablets and consult your doctor if you are allergic (hypersensitive) to telmisartan or to any other ingredients of the drug
Telmisartan should not be taken: * if you are hypersensitive to telmisartan or any other ingredients of the drug. * if you are more than 3 months pregnant. * if you have severe liver impairment or biliary obstructive disorders. * if you Are taking aliskiren-containing medicines.
Q. Is telmisartan safe?Telmisartan is safe if used at prescribed doses for the prescribed duration as advised by your doctor.Q. What is telmisartan used for?Telmisartan is an angiotensin II receptor blocker that blocks the activity of angiotensin II responsible for narrowing of the blood vessels. It relaxes the blood vessels; thereby lowering blood pressure.Q. Is telmisartan a blood thinner, ACE inhibitor, diuretic or a beta-locker?Telmisartan is an angiotensin II receptor blocker, not a blood thinner, ACE inhibitor, diuretic, or a beta-blocker.Q. Is telmisartan a generic?Yes, telmisartan is a generic drug sold under several pharmaceutical brand names (Micardis, Telma, Telmate, Tazloc, Telsartan-h, etc.).Q. Is telmisartan better than losartan or olmesartan?Although all the three drugs have shown to be effective against the approved indications, but their effect may vary upon individual response.
* Prescribing information: http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/drugsatfda_docs/label/2012/020850s036lbl.pdf * Patient information leaflet: https://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/PIL.11358.latest.pdf * Summary of product characteristics: https://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/medicine/27835
- Cortel (20mg)(10 Tablet in Strip)Corona Remedies Pvt LtdRs. 2.20/TabletRs. 22pay 38% more per Tablet
- Telsartan Activ(20mg)(30 Tablet in Packet)Dr Reddy's Laboratories LtdRs. 2.32/TabletRs. 69.50pay 46% more per Tablet
- Inditel (20mg)(10 Tablet in Strip)Zydus CadilaRs. 2.52/TabletRs. 25.20pay 58% more per Tablet
- Targit (20mg)(10 Tablet in Strip)Pfizer LtdRs. 3/TabletRs. 30pay 89% more per Tablet
- Telpic (20mg)(10 Tablet in Strip)J.B. Chemicals & Pharmaceuticals LtdRs. 3/TabletRs. 30pay 89% more per Tablet
Can I take Telmikind (20mg) during pregnancy?
Studies in animals have shown risk to fetus, however there are no sufficient studies in humans. This drug may be used in pregnant women if benefit outweighs the risk. Patients should follow the advice of the doctor regarding its use.