SALT INFORMATIONTamsulosin(0.4 mg)
Tamsulosin is used to improve urination in men with enlarged prostate (benign prostatic hyperplasia).
Common: Dizziness, ejaculation disorders, impotence (inability to get or maintain the penile erection), breast enlargement or tenderness. * Uncommon: Thumping, pounding or fluttering sensation in chest; irregular heartbeats that one can feel (palpitations), low blood pressure with change of position (orthostatic hypotension), runny nose (rhinitis), rash due to allergy (urticaria), itching of skin (pruritis), weakness, constipation, vomiting, diarrhea, urge to vomit, and headache. * Rare: Swelling of eyes and lips, severe life threatening skin hypersensitivity reaction (Stevens-Johnson syndrome), and fainting (syncope).
* Tamsulosin when taken with furosemide, sildenafil, vardenafil, tadalafil may result in low blood pressure. * Cimetidine, nefazodone, erythromycin, itraconazole, ketoconazole, boceprevir, nelfinavir, paroxetine, ritonavir, terbinafine, verapamil may increase the blood concentration hence effect of tamsulosin when taken with tamsulosin. * Always consult your physician for the change of dose regimen or an alternative drug of choice that may strictly be required.
MECHANISM OF ACTION
Tamsulosin belongs to a group of medicines called alpha-blockers. It works by blocking the action of adrenalin, hence relaxes the muscles in the bladder and prostate, thereby relieving difficulty in urination.
Always follow the instructions of doctor regarding the dosage and duration * Treatment of symptoms of benign prostatic hyperplasia in adult men: 0.4 mg-0.8 mg once daily.
DOs and DON'Ts
* Take the drug 30 minutes after the same meal every day * You may feel very dizzy when you first wake up. Be careful when standing or sitting up from a lying position. * Do not start or continue the tamsulosin tablets and consult your doctor If you are allergic to tamsulosin, soya, peanut or to any of the other ingredients of tablet/capsule * Do not stop taking this medicine suddenly without consulting your doctor * Tamsulosin lowers blood pressure and may cause dizziness or fainting, especially when you first start taking it, or when you start taking it again. Call your doctor if you have severe dizziness or feel like you might pass out.
This medicine is for men only. It must not be taken by women, children or adolescents.
Q.Is tamsulosin/ Flomax/ Veltam available over the counter?No. Tamsulosin/ Flomax/ Veltam is not available over the counter. It is a prescription drug.Q.Is tamsulosin a steroid/ a diuretic?No. Tamsulosin is not a steroid or diuretic. It is an alpha blocker.Q.Can I take tamsulosin with Cialis/ tadalafil/ finasteride/ ibuprofen/ sildenafil/ Viagra/ paracetamol/Tylenol/ Sudafed/ aspirin/, ciprofloxacin?There are no confirmed studies about any interaction between tamsulosin and finasteride/ ibuprofen/ paracetamol/ Sudafed/ aspirin/ ciprofloxacin. However when tamsulosin is taken along with tadalafil or sildenefil the blood pressure may get lowered. Consult your doctor before use.Q.Does tamsulosin cause weight gain?There is no confirmed evidence about tamsulosin causing weight gain. However the effect may vary with the individual taking the medicine.Q.Does tamsulosin lower prostate specific antigen?Tamsulosin can lower the prostate specific antigen. However the effect may vary with the individual taking the medicine. Q.Does tamsulosin shrink prostate?Tamsulosin is used to treat symptoms of enlarge prostate (benign prostatic hyperplasia), however tamsulosin does not shrink the prostate.Q.Does tamsulosin contain sulfa?Yes, tamsulosin contains sulpha (sulphur moiety, sulphonamide). Please consult your doctor prior to taking tamsulosin, if you have any allergies to foods, dyes, or preservatives (sulfa allergy).
* Prescribing information http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/drugsatfda_docs/label/2014/020579s029lbl.pdf * Summary of product characteristics: https://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/medicine/22943 * Patient information leaflet: https://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/PIL.23010.latest.pdf
- Tamsulin (0.4mg)(10 Tablet in Strip)Ipca Laboratories LtdRs. 7.60/TabletRs. 76save 19% more per Tablet
- Tamflo (0.4)(10 Tablet in Strip)Sun Pharmaceutical Industries LtdRs. 7.80/TabletRs. 78save 17% more per Tablet
- Prostulin (0.4mg)(10 Tablet in Strip)Siomond Pharmaceuticals Pvt LtdRs. 3.90/TabletRs. 39save 59% more per Tablet
- Tamby (0.4mg)(10 Tablet in Strip)Shreya Life Sciences Pvt LtdRs. 3.95/TabletRs. 39.50save 58% more per Tablet
- Tamsin (0.4mg)(10 Tablet in Strip)Ardor Drugs Pvt LtdRs. 3.95/TabletRs. 39.50save 58% more per Tablet
Can I take Veltam (0.4mg) during pregnancy?
Experiences of drug use and evidence from studies in pregnant women have shown risk to fetus. This drug may be used in pregnant women if benefit outweighs the risk. Patients should follow the advice of the doctor regarding its use.