Cefixime is used to treat a variety of bacterial infections, particularly those of the ear, nose, sinuses (sinusitis), throat (pharyngitis, tonsillitis), chest and lungs (bronchitis, pneumonia), and the urinary system (cystitis, kidney infections).
* Common: Diarrhea * Uncommon: Urge to vomit (nausea), vomiting, abdominal pain, headache, skin rash. * Rare: Fever, gas (flatulence), loss of appetite, allergies, itchiness, dizziness, secondary infections (e.g. candida), changes in blood test values, inflammation or swelling of face, tongue or windpipe.
Cefixime may increase the bleeding tendency with blood thinning drugs such as warfarin. Probenecid may decrease the removal of cefixime by the kidneys. Always consult your physician for the change of dose regimen or an alternative drug of choice that may strictly be required.
MECHANISM OF ACTION
Cefixime is a cephalosporin antibiotic which acts by inhibiting bacterial cell wall (outer coating of bacteria) synthesis and killing the bacteria, thereby reducing the infection.
Always follow the instructions of doctor regarding the dosage and duration * Adults and children above 10 years of age: 200-400 mg daily (tablets) or 100-200 mg capsules, as a single dose or in divided doses as per the severity of infection. * Elderly: Usually the dose is same as that for adults. * Children: The usual dose is 8 mg/kg/day. The recommended volume of suspension according to age is: - 6 months up to 1 year: 3.75 ml daily. - 1-4 years: 5 ml daily. - 5-10 years: 10 ml daily.
DOs and DON'Ts
* Take caution when taking the medicine if you have liver or kidney disease or history of anemia. * Take the tablets whole with a glass of water with or without food or milk. Do not crush or chew the tablets. * The medicine works best if taken with meal or within 30 minutes of a meal. * Talk to your doctor if you have kidney problems, inflammation of colon (colitis) or if you are taking medicines to thin the blood (e.g. warfarin). * Do not take cefixime if you are allergic to it or to any type of cephalosporin or penicillin drugs. * Do not take cefexime if you have allergic reaction (rash, swallowing or breathing problems, swelling of lips, face, tongue and throat). * Do not give cefixime to a child less than 6 months of age.
Do not take cefixime if you have allergic reaction (rash, swallowing or breathing problems, swelling of lips, face, tongue and throat).
Q. What is cefexime and what is it used for? Cefexime (also available as Topcef/ Taxem/ Mahacef/ Zifi/ Suprax) is a cephalosporin antibiotic used for a variety of infections of the throat, chest and urinary tract and infections like typhoid or gonorrhea. Q. Is cefixime same as penicillin? Does it contain sulfur?It is not penicillin and does not contain sulfur Q. Is cefexime safe?Cefexime is relatively safe in prescribed dose and for prescribed duration as advised by your doctor. However, consult your doctor before taking cefexime in case of pregnancy, breast-feeding or in children.Q. Can I take cefexime with food?Cefexime can be taken with food or milk. Q. Does cefexime affect birth control?There is no evidence of cefexime affecting contraception. Please consult your doctor to confirm whether you require a secondary birth control measure while taking levofloxacin.
* Patient information leaflet. https://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/PIL.3899.latest.pdf * Summary of product characteristics. https://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/medicine/14540 * http://www.drugs.com/uk/pdf/leaflet/344537.pdf
Ornidazole is used in the treatment of infections of vagina, urinary tract, intestine and other parts of the body caused by anaerobic bacteria (bacteria that do not use oxygen) or protozoa (amoeba or single-celled parasites). It is also used to prevent these infections during surgical procedures.
Sleepiness (somnolence), spinning sensation (vertigo), fits (seizures), headache, dizziness, confusion, poor co-ordination, tremors, stiffness in joints or muscles (rigidity), allergies, skin reactions, numbness in fingers and toes, disturbances in taste and loss of consciousness.
* Ornidazole may increase the effect of blood-thinners (anti-coagulants) such as warfarin. * It may prolong the muscle relaxation effect shown by drugs like vecuronium bromide during surgery. * Always consult your physician for the change of dose regimen or an alternative drug of choice that may strictly be required.
MECHANISM OF ACTION
Ornidazole is an antibiotic (anti-bacteria and anti-protozoal) drug belonging to the class of imidazole derivatives. It interacts with DNA inside the microorganism to cause protein synthesis inhibition and cell death.
Always follow the instructions of doctor regarding the dosage and duration. * Treatment of amoebiasis -Adults: 500 mg -1.5gm 1-2 times daily for 5-10 days. -Children: 10-40 mg per kg daily for 5 to 10 days.
DOs and DON'Ts
* Swallow the tablet whole with water. * Take the tablets during or immediately after a meal. * Consult your doctor before taking this medicine if you have epilepsy, multiple sclerosis, kidney or liver disease. * Consult your doctor if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant or are breast-feeding before taking this medicine. * Do not take ornidazole on an empty stomach, it may cause stomach upset. * Do not take the medicine if you intend to drive a vehicle or operate machinery immediately after having ornidazole.
* Do not take the medicine if you are allergic to ornidazole or any other content in the medicine.
Q.Is Ornidazole an antibiotic? What is it used for?Ornidazole is an antibiotic that cures infections (caused by bacteria or protozoa) of intestine, urinary tract, genital tract and other body parts. Q.Is ornidazole same as metronidazole?Ornidazole and metronidazole are two different drugs belonging to the same class and are used for the same type of diseases.Q.Is ornidazole carcinogenic?There are no reports suggesting the potential of ornidazole to cause cancer.Q.Is ornidazole safe?Ornidazole is a relatively safe drug if used in prescribed dose for prescribed duration as advised by your doctor. If you are pregnant or breastfeeding, consult your doctor before taking this medicine
1.Patient information leaflet: http://www.medsafe.govt.nz/consumers/cmi/a/arrowornidazole.pdf2.Patient information leaflet: http://www.panaceabiotec.com/product-pdf/Giro.pdf3.http://www.genericpedia.com/generic/ornidazole/4.http://www.medindia.net/doctors/drug_information/ornidazole.htm
- Gabaneuron (200mg)(10 Tablet in Strip)Aristo Pharma LtdRs. 10.33/TabletRs. 103.26save 5% more per Tablet
- Stancef O(200mg)(10 Tablet in Strip)Laborate Pharmaceuticals India LtdRs. 11.81/TabletRs. 118.12pay 8% more per Tablet
- Cefi Oz Tab(6 Tablet in Strip)Roche Products India Pvt LtdRs. 16.87/TabletRs. 101.20pay 55% more per Tablet
- Cefglobe Oz(10 Tablet in Strip)Micro Labs LtdRs. 14/TabletRs. 140pay 28% more per Tablet
- Zefikay Oz Tab(10 Tablet in Strip)Theon Pharmaceuticals LtdRs. 16/TabletRs. 160pay 47% more per Tablet
Can I take Zifi Oz Tab during pregnancy?
Studies in animals have shown risk to fetus, however there are no sufficient studies in humans. This drug may be used in pregnant women if benefit outweighs the risk. Patients should follow the advice of the doctor regarding its use.